The ILL/ESRF International Student Summer Programme on X-Ray and Neutron Science is aimed at undergraduate students. It will consist in a 4-week experimental project embedded in a research group of ESRF or ILL, together with a series of introductory lectures on the principles and applications of X-ray and neutron science (magnetism, materials science, soft matter, structural biology, imaging, etc.).
The four week residential will include presentations, workshops, plenary discussions and the opportunity to receive feedback from your peers.
During the first days of your stay, a series of introductory lectures will make you familiar with the basic principles of neutrons and x-rays :
- Fundamental principles
- Techniques used for their production (nuclear reactor, synchrotron)
- Instrumentation and measurement techniques
- Interaction with matter
Further on during your stay, various scientists from the ILL and the ESRF will give you insight into some more specific aspects of the application of neutrons and x-rays in a number different scientific fields, such as:
- Diffraction and structure of materials
- Nuclear and particle phyiscs
- Structural biology
- Spectroscopy and inelastic scattering
- Soft matter studies
- and other examples of today’s scientific questions
More info: https://indico.ill.fr/indico/event/75/
03/09/2017 - 30/09/2017